Sunday, April 2, 2023

3D model of an ebike

 

green ebike 3d model

Its been a while.  

I have been working and practicing.  The latest personal project was modelling this ebike.  I wanted to do a more complicated modelling challenge and this one certainly delivered.  

3d model ebike in progress

It took quite a while and I eventually had to decide on an end point so did not quite get to the level of finish I had thought I would but it was diminishing returns as I modelled smaller and smaller parts.  


ebike top view

I used geonodes to make the chain but had to apply it to animate the chain. Could not figure out a way to animate it otherwise.  The chain was on a curve constraint. 

geonodes for bike chain

To animate the bike I used the rigacar addon but only applied it to the two wheels. 

ebike rigged with rigacar

I used drivers for the cranks and pedals 

After working so hard on the model I wanted to work with it and took a few different approaches for animation.  One was a 2D /3D mixture. I painted grass and sunflowers on different layers and then animated the growth cycle in Blender importing the .[ng s as image layers.  The animation was edited in DaVinci Resolve.  
    I have had an Adobe cloud subscription for the past few years and have always felt I was fighting the software- the constant fidely updates and crashes meant I had pretty much done all my Photoshop work in CS6 of late.  As for Premier Pro I just never got comfortable with the work flow.  So rather that paying upwards of €750 this year I bought DaVinci and the Steam version of Substance Painter and still had change leftover.  So far I am impressed with DaVinci. 

sunflower growth



The other animation was on a stage in Blender where I animated the rig and played alot with lighting. 

The final animation


A breakdown of the animation
You can see better quality on my website here https://dertypaws.com/archives/portfolio/e-bike-3d-model-animation/







Still Here

  A year since my last post here but that does not mean I have forgotten.  I stop by from time to time and this still remains the most compr...